Ayurvedic Slimmers Soup for Weight Loss
A nourishing tasty and nutritious soup, make a large batch and freeze in portions. Serve for lunch or dinner or even breakfast - easy and simple and quick to make!
- 1 cup yellow mung dahl (spilt mung beans)
- 4 cups of filtered or spring water
- 1 tbsp. ghee or oil
- 2 tsp. of freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- a good handful of chopped coriander
- ½ tsp. of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. whole cumin seeds (or ground cumin & coriander mix)
- 2 pinches of hing/asofetida powder
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan rock salt
- 5-6 fresh or dried curry leaves
PREPARATION (serves 3-4 portions)
1. Wash mung dahl (lentils) twice and soak in water for an hour or overnight
2. Drain water after soaking and rinse once.
3. In a large saucepan heat the ghee and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and hing. When the seeds start to pop turn down the heat and add ginger, garlic, curry leaves, coriander leaves, bay leaf, the dahl and water; and bring it to a boil. Add turmeric and salt. Cook on a medium-high heat for 20-40 minutes without covering the pot. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
4. Add more water if needed and cook until dahl is fluffy and able to be easily blended, blend by hand or with a hand blender.
5. Add garam masala powder and serve