Detox Kitchari Recipe - Updated
Kitchari means mixture, usually of two grains, lentils & rice normally. This nourishing recipe can be eaten at any time and is very easy to digest & nourishing. Serve with steamed brocolli to up your fibre intake if you choose.
- 1/2 cup basmati rice serve seperately or mix together
- Garlic cloves 2 -3 large ones or less depending on your choice
- Chilli chopped to taste - normally 1 is plenty or 1/2 if you dont like it too hot
- 1 cup mung dal (split yellow)
- 6 cups (approx.) water
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes (good quality)
- 1/2 to 1 inch ginger root, chopped or grated
- A bit of mineral salt (1/4 tsp. or so)
- 2 tsp. ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- 1 and 1/2 cups assorted vegetables (optional)
All the spices can be purchased here
Wash the mung dal first in water. Add the 4 cups of water to the dal and cook covered until it becomes soft, about 30 minutes. You may want to remove any foam that appears at the top of the pan. Stir the daal until it becomes a mashed potato consistency if you prefer a smoother kitchari otherwise skip this step.
While that is cooking, prepare any vegetables that you might want to serve with it.
In a separate saucepan, sauté the seeds in the ghee until they pop. Then add the other spices. Stir together to release the flavors, add the garlic and chilli. Stir the sautéed spices excluding the garam masala into the cooked daal and 2 tins of tomatoes and then add the mineral salt. Cook for 30 mins or so, then taste and add the garam masala, taste again and add more if needed. before serving add chopped fresh coriander and serve with steamed rice (optional) and vegetables
I tend to make large batches and freeze it. Its a great food to have during the week its very nourishing and easy to digest. Ayurveda doesnt agree with freezing food particularly but that may because people didnt have freezers 5000 years ago!
This is one of the recipes used in The Cleanse.