Ayurvedic Comforting Lentil Soup
A comforting soup thats tasty, great all year around but especially in autumn when we can feel a bit scattered. It makes a nourishing filling lunch or dinner.
- 2 tablespoons. ghee or unsalted butter
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. each sea salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 roasted sweet potato
- 300g dry yellow split peas, rinsed and drained
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- chopped coriander
In a large pot, add the ghee and allow to warm through, then add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper and saute until translucent. Add the ginger, turmeric, cumin, curry, sweet potato flesh (not outer peel), yellow split peas and vegetable stock . Stir and bring the mixture up to a boil and then simmer, cover and cook for 45-55 minutes until the peas are very soft. Once it has cooked blend the soup. Serve garnished with some freshly chopped coriander.